Everyone enjoys the backyard barbecue during the summer and it’s a great pastime for the family. Let’s start off with this very important implement, the Charcoal gill. There are different kinds of charcoal grills available in the market today to fit your different needs. The simple and traditional ones are cheap yet provide that distinct smoky barbecue taste.
The advantage of having the charcoal grill is that it is inexpensive. It also provides that distinct smoky flavor to the food. Take note that this type of grill needs a bit of the skill to prepare. It takes time to light up the coals and is a bit messier to set up.
This type of grill comes in different sizes and shapes. These are the kettle, barrel, drum and box grills. Most of which are designed to cook slowly to preserve the smoky flavor in the food.
You should also be familiar with the different types of charcoals used for this grill. There is wood that is burnt to a carbon state which we call briquettes. These light quickly. There are briquettes sold containing additives that make them faster to light. The better quality ones are made from hardwood that burns slower but is hotter.
The other kind is the barbecue wood chips. This will make cooking longer but the food will have that smoky flavor once cooked. This is the one for those who want to have their barbecue with that authentic flavor.
To aid you in lighting your charcoal, you can use charcoal lighting fluids, electric fire starters or self-igniting briquettes. Briquettes will easily light up if these are laid in a pyramid shape and lit using the fire starters mentioned. You can then easily spread the charcoal around after it begins to burn. As in all charcoal grills, it will always take a bit of your time to prepare.
To make this site your one-stop site for your charcoal grill needs, I will mention a few brands currently in the market that you can consider:
1) Weber 22 1/2 One-Touch Silver – This is a very durable grill that it built to last. It has a large grilling area to accommodate different food sizes. The rounded design directs heat to the grill area. For your smoking needs, this grill can do just fine.
2) Old Smokey Classic – If you’re in a budget, the Old Smokey Budget is the best out there below $50. This grill is very simple yet meets your grilling needs. It is also light enough to carry everywhere.
3) Portable Kitchen Cooker – Built by Portable Kitchen, Inc. This grill like the Old Smokey Classic maintains that old-timer touch. It has great grilling abilities in a relatively simple design. This grill is well-built and will last longer than you expect.
4) Big Green Egg – This grill is very popular among smokers, mainly because it has the ability to hold low temperatures for a long time.
5) Char-Griller Outlaw – The Char-Griller Outlaw is a traditional style barrel grill. With over 1,000 square inches of cooking space, this would surely meet any of your outdoor grilling needs. Char-Griller indeed built this one to last for many years.
6) The Grillery Standard – This is the top-of-the-table brand by The Grillery. The Standard comes with a rotisserie kit but does not include a lid. It has a rotary crank to adjust the heat. The body is made of stainless steel which is expected for a top-of-the-line charcoal grill. For this price, it will not disappoint.
Charcoal Grills At A Glance…
- Preserves the smoky flavor of the food
- Many designs to fit your cooking needs
- A bit messy to set up and clean
- Accumulates ash that could be a problem if not properly cleaned
- Make sure that it is set up in a sturdy footing to prevent it from falling over
There are many choices but in the end, there is always one to meet your grilling needs, for prices that will meet every budget.